Original Tenant: A&P
Address: 3 Lafayette Rd, Fords, Woodbridge, NJ
Later Tenants: Favorites at Woodbridge
Photographed: July 2020
Finishing up our A&P streak here on Grocery Archaeology with this 23,000 square foot former centennial store (you can still barely see the roofline intact behind the new facade). Given that this store opened in the mid-1950s -- it was open by 1958, before A&P's actual centennial the following year -- it was probably built as a more nondescript boxy store model and later converted to a centennial. By the late 1990s, the store moved up to downtown Woodbridge, and that store later closed in 2011. A&P also had a larger store, a former Stop & Shop, just to the southwest about a mile and a half in Edison, which we'll see when we get to Edison. While this wraps up our core Woodbridge coverage, we still have one more store to see within the municipal limits, out in the Hopelawn section right at the Perth Amboy border. Head over to The Market Report to tour that store tomorrow!